Hello NM Math Teachers!
I would like to introduce myself as the new president of NMCTM. I have been the Central Region Representative for the past 2 years and look forward to working with you in this new capacity!
At our Annual Meeting, which was held at the Soar to Greater Heights Conference in October, we gained some new members and said hello to familiar faces. The committee put a lot of time into planning the event and we are glad that it was a great experience for you all! If you would like to become more involved with NMCTM, we have an opening for Central and Northeast Region Representatives as well as President Elect.
If you are a member of NMCTM, remember we can play a role in your teacher evaluation. NMTeach Domain 4b is all about participating in a professional community. We have an opportunity for you to do just this! The NM Stem Symposium will be held June 1st and is looking for dynamic presenters. You can get more information and submit your proposal here. (We will also send out information about attending as it becomes available.) Another way to help your increase your evaluation score is to become a member of the NCTM, our affiliate. NCTM offers its members many benefits such as
- Official Journals [Teaching Children Mathematics (Pre-K – Grade 6) & Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School (Grades 5-9) & Mathematics Teacher (Grades 8-14)]
- Professional Development [ NCTM Annual Meeting & Exposition, NCTM’s Regional Conferences, NCTM’s Interactive Institutes
- Postitions & Standards that guide many of our most widely implemented National, State, and district initiatives.
- Much, much, more … visit nctm.org
NMCTM also has a NM Math Educators Google Group / Listserv that you can sign up for. This will allow you to and send and receive important information relative to our work as well as invitations to Math related offerings in the state. Anyone can post to the list, however, if you are a full dues paying member you can post directly to the NMCTM Blog which will automatically post to our Listserv, Twitter, and Facebook (#nmctm @nmctm).
I know spending money on professional organizations is not at the top your to-do list, but if you have not renewed your dues with NMCTM, please do so at our membership corner! You may need to create an account on our website. This allows you to post on the website as well as pay your dues online. In the meantime, please consider volunteering yourself or nominating another for one of our positions in the next calendar year. We are always accepting applications! The establishment of and job duties for these roles can be found in our By-Laws and Constitution.
- Regional Representatives (5 Regions): https://goo.gl/forms/tXOLkBrFa9ZvNo8O2
- Treasurer: https://goo.gl/forms/RMJeHPhKfxyXPnHl2
- President: https://goo.gl/forms/P5lki0KQnuDLf0f02
- Past-President (non-elected)
- PED Math Specialist (ex-officio)
- NCTM Representative: https://goo.gl/forms/wupl3wMuRoAANJ4x1
- Recording Secretary: https://goo.gl/forms/T4i1TfT3o4w7tfjq1
- Communications Specialist: https://goo.gl/forms/NPloNEhXc5iS83xM2
We would like to thank you for your dedication to New Mexico students. Math education is a necessity and you are making it happen! It takes hard work every day to help these students achieve, and we are all doing it! Your commitment to your students and our profession is fundamental to our organization and we commend your work!